Saturday, November 13, 2010

I am an Idiot...

... a raving mad idiotic lunatic for getting dragged into a debate concerning religion of all things...
So, as I was skimming some of my classmate’s blog posts, I came across an accidental debate between Kasia and Susan over, of all things, religion. There was one line in particular that caught my eye:
And why do people go to hell because they no longer love God?
I think that this is a great question, why DO people go to hell if they ever doubt Him? And, a more difficult question, is it really possible to get into heaven if we are to believe every word of the bible in it’s entirety? I will warn you all though, this is purely hypothetical, I am not attacking ANY religion. These are just my little questions and musings, because, as you all know, I am probably just crazy anyways. For example, pride is a sin, one of the seven deadly sins. And I have not met a single person to this day, even someone who hates themselves, who doesn’t have at least a small sliver of pride in themselves. Does this mean we’re all going to hell? Because, if I’m not mistaken, as it is human nature itself that gets Adam and Eve kicked out of Eden, it is human nature that also sends us to hell. So if this is the case and it is still possible to acheive the granting of passage into heaven, at what point do we draw the line at what is appropriately sinful and what is enough to be sent to hell? Or, on the flip side, what acts do we deem are redemptive enough to atone for the sins of human nature to allow us into heaven?
And returning to Susan’s question, why do we go to hell because we no longer love god, or even if we simply doubt for a period of time? As I have stressed repeatedly, it is human nature to doubt, to be prideful, to think, perhaps even over-think, to the point that we eventually learn to hate ourselves. It is a question that can only be answered with more questions, and I believe that we will go in circles on this subject as long as there are rational beings on this planet, so though it is healthy to ask these complex and profound questions, it is unhealthy to dwell on them, or if you do, it is unhealthy to push your religion, whatever it is, at other people. Unhealthy for you as well as them. They, who will stress over losing your respect and friendship if they don’t comply. You, who worry they won’t comply and that you will have to shun them. I think it is best a subject to discuss, but not argue too much over.

No comments:

Post a Comment