Friday, November 5, 2010

Societal Wars

So in shuffling through various blog posts, mainly in the hopes of finding a good quote (in all honesty) I came across an interesting response done by Constance on the subject of something called the"Beiber Wars". She comments on the lack of middle ground between "fans" and "haters"
"I find it extremely interesting that there is no middle ground, only the fans and the "haters". I think this says a lot about our society, actually"
-From Constance's Blog Post on the Beiber Wars
I find I agree with Constance on the irrationality of there being no apparent middle ground in these arguments, you are either classified as a hater or fan. I find that this is the case in many arguments, for example, you are either pro-gay or anti-gay, you are either pro or anti- abortion, you are either pro or anti-Obama, and these are just a couple examples of popular either-or debates that come up in everyday life. But I must ask, can you honestly say that Beiber is worth arguing over? I myself, like Constance, don’t like or dislike his music, I’ve never really listened to it. But as a person, having stumbled upon an interview on late-night tv a few times, I find him deplorable. That’s beside the point though. The main argument is over his music, no? One side argues that he sounds like “a girl” the other side claims that he is simply the best thing since sliced bread. It’s a never ending circle. Anyways, I ask you, the fighters of this war, if it is possible for you to come to an agreement over a middle ground, one that we viewers can tiptoe safely without being drawn into the never ending skirmish? And if you cannot allow a middle ground, might you, at the very least allow us to stay out of it.
eh, I’m not happy with this post....

1 comment:

  1. I guess I'd be considered a 'hater' but I think the idea of a middle ground sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete