Friday, March 4, 2011

Is it fate?

In all honesty, I rarely ever actually read my classmate’s blogs. I find them to be places of argument, generalizations, and over all just unappealing. I understand that that may be mean, or even considered cruel, but it’s the truth. But last night I gave in to my boredom and poked around on google reader for something interesting to read. After reading some pretty good posts by some of our classmates, I came across an older post by Andy Tsang, which made some interesting points about pre-determined destiny, or perhaps, the lack thereof. After he discussed a recent conversation with his friend about relationships, he dove into the idea of destiny... somewhere along the way he said this: “If our fate is determined at birth, then we never actually make any of our decisions.”

In my usual fashion, I didn’t think much of it at first. Instead I went about my day as usual, catering to the needs of the cat (who was out of food AGAIN), helping my sister with her homework, etc. But it kept coming back. So I began to wonder that if there is such a thing as pre-determined destiny, if there is a way to deviate from that path, be it through sheer force of will, or just another deviant affecting your own path. Somehow this thought led me to another, what if when we are born, there are multiple possible destinies laid out for us? It’s something similar to the whole multi-verse theory, but confined to our own universe. What if, like in a game of chutes and ladders, there are major points in one’s “destiny” that we reach and actually have a choice? And our destinies will change depending on the path we pick. Like when you land on a chute space in the aforementioned board game, you can change your path altogether, but the end point is still the same (our endpoint being eventual death). Or of course, there’s always the possibility that destiny doesn’t exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment