Friday, January 14, 2011

Layers of Insanity

Hmm, what to write about is always a difficult topic. Thankfully I was able to pull something interesting for this weeks free post: Movies. Yes, you read it right. Movies. Movies are such amazing aspects of our society. They employ millions of people and provide billions others with entertainment. But have you ever noticed the deeper messages in them? I’ve read and heard a lot of stuff about the fairly new movie Inception from a couple places. Many, if not all of the articles I’ve read complained about the ending. They claim that the ending wasn’t definite enough. But did anyone noticed the symbol there? The main character comes home, hoping he isn’t still stuck in a dream and places his top, his marker, on the table. Now, if the marker stops spinning, it’s a sign he’s in reality. If it doesn’t... well it fairly obvious. He puts it on the table, glances at it, and runs for his kids. He never stopped to look back and see if the top had stopped. This symbolism in all of this is that he didn’t care anymore. He no longer cared whether or not he was in a dream. As far as he knew he was home with his kids and that was the only reality he needed. One thing I’ve found interesting about movies is that they provide certain types of people something to complain about. I’ll use Inception again as my example... there were several layers of dreams in this movie. I believe they go three or four layers in? Correct me if I’m wrong, but I heard many things about the layers being hard to distinguish. This surprised me, because to me it seemed obvious. There were six layers, reality, the rainy city, the hotel, the mountain, pre-limbo, and limbo itself. See, a simple way of distinguishing between the five dream layers (we’re excluding reality) is to assign them colors based on the general surroundings. I see the rainy city as blue, the hotel as red, the mountain as white, pre-limbo as brown, and limbo as gold. And if you can look at the screen and see a color, instead of the surroundings, you know what layer you’re in! It’s kind of a cool mind trick. If you haven’t seen Inception, I’m very, very sorry for ruining things for you, and if you have, I hope this makes sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment